Wednesday 18 July 2012

MANHATTAN PAIN

Mitch's Destination:
New York City- July 6 to July 11th

Mitch's Race:
New York 5150

Australian thoroughbred racehorse Manhattan Rain draws little to no correlation with my experience at the Aquaphor New York Triathlon, aside from my witty play on words in the title. Unlike the famous Group 1 winning colt, who has every bit lived up to his expectation, I was unable to execute my ideal experience.
The journey began from my quaint cottage in Clermont at 3am Friday morning as I traveled in to the airport for the first flight out to NY. Unfortunately, my stubborn southern hemisphere bearings resulted in a seat assignment on the wrong side of the plane. My distress was magnified when the Jet Blue pilot gave a magnificently detailed description of NY skyline located beyond the opposite window. It wasn't all bad though, the sun glare outside my window was something to behold. NB: When flying north to NY choose the left hand side of the plane.

I spent the afternoon weaving through the grid shaped streets of Manhattan, soaking in the smoldering heat trapped between the tall buildings. When NY resident Brett (my buddy from back home) finished work for the day I followed him on a tour of the area before he introduced me to the subway on our way back to his apartment in Harlem (as in the Globetrotters)!!! True to its reputation, there were plenty of posy's on the streets and a run down basketball court across the road.

Insert various life changing visions and a handful of joys and frustrations, then fast forward to race day which began super early for the 5:50 start. This was my first major event on international soil which made for extra nerves and anticipation. Pre race was calm as Sara McLarty and I biked down the eerie city streets on route to the race venue, where I was able to put a face to the name of some of the US athletes.

The Hudson river was in full flood as we prepared ourselves for an inevitable 1500m PB with the straight shot swim downstream. As soon as I left the pontoon the day went sour as my goggles slipped off and I was squeezed to the back of the pack as I made some necessary adjustments. The swim was pretty sloppy for the most part and I was short sighted with one eye soaking in a full goggle of water! I lost touch with the front guys after the start but settled in with the chasers around 30 seconds back. It was a long run through T1 before hoping onto the bike for a pleasant trip along the motorway. Sounds simple... WRONG!

Seat trauma on the mount line and a frozen bike computer left me riding the top tube and navigating Manhattan without any direction. I was swallowed up and spat out by several riders early on the bike before being arrested by the race referee approaching the turn around. The controversial stagger rule had claimed another victim. I had been riding on the same side of the road as the man in front, all be it 40m back. This is strictly illegal in the USA and I had to get off my bike and wait for the official to begin the clock on my 60 second penalty. By the time she moseyed on over it had already felt like an eternity had passed. Lesson learnt (and somewhat understood) and on I go! When the harsh roads brought about another wave of despair I began to have a quiet chuckle to myself. My handlebars dropped and the rear brake shifted to rub as I cannoned into a pot hole on the way back into the city. I knew it wasn't going to be my day but I was determined to stick at it to reward myself for the effort that went into getting to the start line. Plus it's not everyday they shut down Manhattan for a race!

I came into T2 about lunchtime (just kidding but well back) and decided to be ruthless on the hilly run through central park. By the time I got to the park, the one where Joey and Chandler met that Dutch girl, I had managed to reel in a few guys and pinned the ears back for the finish. My body tied up with about 2km to go and I was passed by a pretty classy runner who had the sails up. I would have liked to have held him off but just I didn't have the legs in the end. I finished within 30 secs of a group of guys which left me in 12th spot. The only positive to come from the day was a 32:37 10km which is now my benchmark for the discipline.

My trip to the Big Apple was a priceless experience both on and off the racetrack. I spent the next few days doing the tourist thing getting up down and all around on the subway. I was humbled to see the 9/11 memorial at Ground Zero and then intrigued by the lights of time square. It's staggering to know that 8.5 million people live on Manhattan alone, that's almost the population of Victoria and Queensland combined. I now know why it's arguably the most talked about city in the world, although I can't say I'm in a rush to get back there! Maybe for some unfinished business on the racetrack! Or if I win a radio competition...

Mitch's Rating:
3/10

Mitch's Next Race:
Lifetime Fitness Minneapolis, July 14th

Mitch's Pictures:

The long barefoot run to Transition

Running for the sake of it

NYC 5150 Results


Mitch's travel buddy Austin

The Boom Boom Room (it's as cool as it looks)

America Rebuilds- World Trade Centre

What a great view of Manhattan :( 

That's better!

And a nice sunrise on the way home!

2 comments:

  1. Man it sounds like you need a torques wrench to make sure those bars dont slip! sounds like you are having a blast and racing FAST! Cheers
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stuart, a torque wrench for the bike and maybe some Tarzan Grip for the goggles!! Great to see you having a blast.

    ReplyDelete