Tuesday 12 June 2012

THE CROSSROADS

Welcome to Clermont, FL

FACT 1: In Australia we have Crocdiles and Kangaroos... In the USA they have Alligators and count-down clocks at pedestrian lights!

After finishing my Sports Management degree at Monash University last year, I was confronted with the same tough decisions that we all face when we arrive at a crossroad... For me, the decision was Home & Contents Insurance OR Travel Insurance... As I am young and free and relitively naive to the big wide world, I chose the latter! Ultimately this choice was made in order to fulfill a promise to myself that I made a few years back to pursue the dream job as an athlete (of any kind)...

It turns out i'm pretty keen on racing triathlons, or marathons as my friends would say! Unknown to them, there is a differnce. The good news is... the sport is full of generous and passionate people of which I have met many to date. It teaches you the foundations of living arguably the healthiest lifestyle available and I am now discovering that its a pretty impressive way to get around the world.

I have been living in Clermont, Florida (apparently hot and humid weather was invented here) at the AAA Triathlon Camp with resident hosts John and Jodi Hovius. John is a former professional triathlete himself and has managed to create a very unique environment that is undoubtedly every triathlon nerds dream. This large property is set up on the outskirts of civilisation and includes a 25m lap pool, gymnasium, 2 alligators, spin class studio, VO2 max testing, large camp dinning hall/cabins and every triathlon magazine ever printed (every single one!). The camp has played home to various international athletes over the years as they prepare for upcoming events in the Americas.

The purpose of this years adventure is to learn what it takes to be "professional" about sport. The challenge of waking up day after day and puffing until you can't anymore is extremely daunting and it seems to be magnified when you have nothing else to do but that. Obviously, it is easier when you're not balancing work, family and a television schedule but its still tough! Full credit to the guys out there that make it look easy. Hopefully one day I will be that guy! Until then, I like my blue collar...

Never the less, life is great here and my training routine is begining to take care of itself. My home in Groveland is exactly 37.25km from where I need to be everyday... The Pool! By the time I have covered the ride in, the swim, a run, a lengthy transition in the locker room (including an indulgent Dextro Energy Bar and Gel) and a ride home in the ever-present afternoon thunderstorms, I am ready to eat dinner (which i didnt prepare earlier)... I know i'm still the new kid in town but I really like riding on these unfamiliar roads and they even let you do it on the wrong side over here which definatley breaks up the monotony of training. And the motorists have all been very polite so far so fingers crossed they keep it up!

The local triathlon comminty is very passionate about the sport which is nice. My slick looking Scott Plasma from Fitzroy Cycles Carnegie gets me "Street Cred" as I park it at the front entrace to the pool. I havent worked out if people like me because of my accent or they are trying to get close enough to discover the code on my bike lock. Either way, i'll call them a mate!

I have been very fortunate to meet some of Clermont's most famous triathletes who have been more than happy to show me the ropes. Zach Ruble is a seasoned Ironman athlete and has a great work ethic which makes hime a valuable training partner. He gets married next month so congratulations to him. Lauren Goss is one of the USA's best female athletes with big plans for 2012 and beyond after switching to the non-drafting code earlier this year. She knows all the good places to "bike" and is never shy to take on the local ice cream shop! Hopefully these two can help Americanise me before I plan to fly out to some big races around the country in the coming months.

I am looking forward to seeing some more places in the USA as I travel to upcoming races. By the sounds of things I will need every second of these tough training days to keep up with these seasoned professionals who race to eat and eat because they like it. Its hard to know how I will stack up against these guys but I won't know unless I give it a shot...

Next stop- The Big Apple :)

Proposed Race Calendar:
- 5150 New York, July 8th
- Lifetime Fitness Minniappolis, July 14th
- 5150 Giant Eagle Triathlon- Ohio, July 29th
- Rev 3 Maine, August 26th
- Lifetime Fitness Los Angeles, September 30th
-Noosa Triathlon, November 4th

Finally, big hello to family and friends back home... They're right when they say "you dont know what youve got til its gone"...

Stay in touch and be brave... GO BOMBERS!

Mitch's Pictures:

Clermont Sprint Triathlon with the AAA Team

1 comment:

  1. Killing it mate. Well done. Good to hear from you, so keep the posts coming.

    Good Luck

    ReplyDelete