Monday 30 June 2014

TRAINS, PLANES & AUTOMOBILES

Mitch’s Races:
ITU Shizuishan Premium Asian Cup, China (June 7th)
French Grand Prix- La Rochelle, France (June 15th)
ITU Larache African Cup, Morocco (June 21st)

My international triathlon season is well underway and after the most demanding travel schedule I’ve encountered, I’m sitting in my small, yet stylish one bedroom apartment in Morzine. I share this cottage in the centre of town with Sean Jefferson (USA) who likes peanut butter oatmeal (porridge) and always falls asleep before I do! I’m happy here now that I’ve settled in and I finally feel like good things are on the horizon, which is nice.

Since flying out of Melbourne on June 3rd, I’ve been to China, France, Switzerland, Portugal (only a stop over, but it’s a stamp none the less) and Morocco. I’ve been to three races, but only raced twice and it has been a real learning curve. The places I’ve seen have only reiterated the fact that Australia is the lucky country and I’m glad to call it home. For those in France, you should be glad as well, but my experience tells me that those in China and Morocco would enjoy a holiday!

I had a pretty consistent training block leading up to my trip and was happy with my progression since the start of the year. I’d like to thank Bayside Swim Club for putting up with my 5am face each morning and Andrew at Reap PT for keeping me in one piece. Triathlon throws up some challenges, but nothing is as hard as being injured, so I’m always thankful to be able to compete even when the outcomes aren’t desirable. Having said that, it is still difficult to deal with the stress of poor performances/decisions as they happen. One can only hope as time passes and lessons are learnt, that these incidences become few and far between.

The first race destination was Shizuishan located in Northern China. In 2007 the city was awarded the most polluted in the world, which is certainly an achievement. Despite this, I was actually quite impressed with the air quality and the local hospitality. The travel was tiring and after leaving Melbourne over-stressed and run down, I was never in the mix on race day. I managed to trick myself in the day’s prior thinking I would be okay, but there was no hiding in the heat and I had to settle for a disappointing 20th in a race I had high hopes for a breakthrough result. I spent the next three days in the airport system on route to France. The first shower after arriving was memorable.

My French GP team had organized for me to stay with Christine in Fouras (just outside La Rochelle) before the GP race that weekend. Christine is part of the extended STP family and was extremely generous to host me so well for the days I spent with her. Fouras (on the West Coast of France) is surrounded by Forts, which were used to protect the Charente River during the war. The river runs into Rochefort where the French built their warships, making it a pretty historic area. At present a remake of a famous warship called Hermione is being assembled in Rochefort and is due to set sail in March next year. And I’ve seen it!

By the time the race came around that weekend, I had done enough to get energized again and was excited to take on another French GP with my teammates from last year. The race went smoothly from start to finish and I came away with 3rd place. I was left scratching my head after this wondering why the week before had been so different. I swam well to make the front group and was able to conserve on the bike to save my carrots for the run. A podium finish was some reward for effort and helped keep my team 2nd on the ladder. The city of La Rochelle is beautiful, and well worth a visit if you find yourself in the area. Save some room for ice cream as you peruse the city streets at night…

After another long day/night of travel I arrived in Morzine to rejoin Coach Daz and the Squad. It was not a second too soon (just ask Darren). Before I had the chance to get comfortable, I was off to Morocco with Sean for the ITU race in Larache. Again the travel was tough, but Lisbon Airport was lovely for our four-hour stopover. Eurosport was playing on the big screen and there were several classy shops for the fashionable. So I just watched Eurosport! We boarded the toy plane and flew across to Africa where I was sure that I’d be able to run fast, just like the locals.

Reality hit me soon after landing. The landscapes and villages looked very similar to China and once again, safe food/drink options were limited. Unfortunately, I had exhausted most of my Dextro Energy stocks on the way over and was forced to brave the local cuisine. It wasn’t too bad for the first meal, but cold rice and chicken wraps were soon to be unsatisfactory. For the third week in a row, my old faithful travel buddy James Chronis (AUS/GRE/ITU) joined me at the races. He brought a bunch of fellow Australian’s from their base in Spain, which made for an enjoyable pre race atmosphere. I liked the look of the unique, urban course and was stickered up ready to go! I woke up early on Saturday (race day) feeling slightly off colour. I put it down to some nerves and set about completing my usual pre race routine. After a few shuffle steps down the hallway I realised I’d been poisoned (unintentionally of course) and was in a spot of bother. I withdrew two hours before the race and was completely devastated. For the remainder of my time in Africa I assumed the fetal position, hugging a bottle of Sprite. Special thanks to Sean and Joel TW (AUS) for taking trips to the shop on my behalf.

So after four weeks on the road, I’m back in Morzine and a couple of days into rebuilding my immunity. The calendar looks busy from here until September so I’ll be trying my best to listen when I’m told and to do well with what I do! I have great people around me and look forward to capitalising my opportunities ASAP.

Mitch’s Next Race:
ITU Holten Premium European Cup, Netherlands (July 5th).


Mitch’s Pictures:

First swim in the new Blueseventy (Thanks Aqua Shop)

Christine, Argos & Mitch in Fouras

Found a replica of Little Mags in La Rochelle

Mitch on the little step

On the ground in Africa 

 Tri Jimmy with the Mayor of Morocco

 Porridge on the Balcony in Morzine

 Thats the Supermarket, and thats our place on top :)

 Back to work with the good stuff #DrinkDextro

No comments:

Post a Comment