Saturday 2 March 2013

THE FLYING KANGAROO


Mitch’s Race:
ITU Oceania Sprint Championships- Devonport (Feb 23)

After another two weeks training under my belt, I was set for the Oceania Sprint Championships in Devonport. If I knew the weekend would turn out as it did, I may well have swam across Bass Straight to get there. My travel itinerary was not overly complicated although I did require two flights to get there, although in this day and age you wouldn’t expect that to be too difficult! I left home in Canberra on Friday at 4:45am and just managed to sneak into the race briefing at 5:30pm. Its fair to say the Qantas staff had a tough day and I certainly went through some battery power waiting in the terminal… We will leave the airport talk at that for now!

With another afternoon race, the morning preparation followed a similar schedule to the previous race in Geelong, which seemed to work well. Having an extra couple of pigeon’s in the coop, namely Declan Wilson (AUS) and Matt Chrabot (USA), made life more interesting (never a dull moment) for Cam and I. Logistical arrangements saw us spend the day in the conference room of the hotel, which had a toaster and some couches so we were not complaining…

The weather was set to be a factor as the surf gained momentum with strong North Westerly winds blowing in from the sea. I was looking forward to the swim and had hoped the chop would level the playing field and allow me to get out in touch with the leaders. It was an improved effort and I managed to carry my new stroke around for more of the swim, however it wasn’t enough to rejoin the lead riders back on the ground. Each group on the road held position on the multi-lap course and I was very frustrated to be among the chasers once again (its just not as fun).

Without ever feeling great during the race, I managed to keep my head down and finish with a solid run leg. I had hoped to collect a couple more runners from the groups ahead but the finish line came too soon!

Again, the others in the DSquad performed exceptionally well with Jodie Stimpson (GBR) and Aileen Reid (IRL) finishing 1st and 3rd respectively in the Women’s race, and Declan and Cam running well into the top 10. It was also a great day for my Team Barefoot buddies who competed in the Australian Olympic Distance Championships earlier in the day. Nathan Barry took out his second consecutive Australian Title and Steve Foster collected another slab of metal, winning his 150th (slight exaggeration) Australian Championship! It seems I’m surrounded by success (which can’t be a bad thing)!

The race was over, the trip had just begun and the journey is only getting started. After another full day of airport delays and baggage discretions on Sunday, Qantas returned us to the mainland later than we had wished for. I spent the night with my sister and long time best friend Maggie (my dog) in Melbourne before finishing the final leg of the trip the next day…

I sit here writing to you late on Monday night after my bike has just been delivered from the postman representing Qantas. I’m about to unzip the bag to determine what is missing, broken or too heavy to pack for next time! Tomorrow is a new day with more chances to get better, so I’ll leave you to it.

Do all you can that’s right and stay tuned for some more exciting (mildly interesting) developments to this blog!

Mitch’s Next Race:
Mooloolaba Oceania Cup (March 17)

Mitch’s Pictures:
Special thanks to "Triathlon in Pictures" who do a great job at the races...

Eventually flying over Westernport Bay, VIC

My favourite part of the swim...

Sasha photo bombing again...

Might have to grow my hair back...

Yep, DEFINITELY!

No comments:

Post a Comment