Friday 31 August 2012

WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH...

It's not a lesson until you have learnt it yourself... TRUE!

When I left you last, I had just returned "home" to Florida from two weeks on the road at races in New York and Minneapolis. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for this trip to catch up with me and I was laid up with the flu for a week. At the time I was slightly deflated that my recent races hadn't gone to plan and this feeling was compounded by the fact that I was trapped inside the house dwelling on the results!

By the time I resumed training each discipline felt foreign to me. I struggled to run in a straight line, my bike seat was desperately uncomfortable and I was swallowing a good amount of pool water each time I jumped in. For me, this is one of the most challenging aspects of the sport. Its very difficult to relax and enjoy time away from training without feeling guilty about how hard it can be to resume your level of confidence prior to the break. However, one thing any coach worth a penny will tell you is that- "you must have a proper break"... 

I have learnt over the past few months that a physical break is simply not enough to prepare yourself for a return to the demands of triathlon training. Without question, the mind must also escape the stresses of intensive focus and challenges that its set every day. In the time I was sick, I can't remember seeing or talking to another person and I spent very little time outside. Unfortunately, I have a tendency to become a hermit when i'm tired or unwell which is often detrimental. I'm unsure if it's because I like the challenge of solitary confinement or if I simply don't have the energy to keep up with conversation when i'm down... Either way, I now know there are better ways to go about being sick then watching painfully boring movies and starring at the clock until its time to cook again!

The month that followed was a perfect example of the value of mental recovery and a lesson that I learnt the hard way! 

I was controlled in my approach to resuming training and ensured that I reduced the volume and intensity until I was feeling sharp again! There was some time between races on the US circuit so there was no rush to prepare for the next race which took the pressure off. However, as the days went by it was becoming increasingly difficult to peel myself out of bed in the mornings. My stride was getting shorter and my heart was working harder every moment I spent outside in the searing Florida heat. And without a race to provide motivation, I began to question why I was trying so hard to shave a second here and there.. Something that any athlete would never do if everything was okay... Because we all know why we do it!

I received some advice from a friend that resonated too well with my character! "Either take a break or toughen up"... Never one to accept that i'm not the toughest competitor out there, I chose the latter (unfortunately the wrong decision in this circumstance)! I set myself some short term goals and I turned myself inside out for the next week or so to achieve them. This included a 1km TT in the pool where I set a new PB which gave me confidence to believe I was over the hump and back in the game. I had booked flights to race in Chicago and I was excited about the back half of the US season...

Much like an Aussie in Springvale, the warning signs of my fatigue had been standing out for months, and they were ignored. I was unable to sleep at night, I had sore muscles for days on end and I had lost my flare in the kitchen- resorting to consecutive bowls of cereal on many occasions. It was then during an open water swim that I decided enough was enough! As I was zig-zagging my way across the lake I decided that any further suffering at this time would be detrimental to my duration in the sport! That day I went home and cancelled my trip to the Chicago race and booked a one way ticket to my new home in Newport Beach, California. 

For many of you who don't know my family intricately, I have an older brother Kris, who has been living in the US for many years. I am lucky enough to be staying with him and his girlfriend Shavonna along with not so little Winston (the bulldog) who is a celebrity with the beach crowd as they pass by the front gate. Kris works as a Technical Director for the very successful Geico Honda Motocross team based in California. Even though I know "everything" about sport, I was unaware of the passion and commitment attached to dirt bike racing around the world. Most of the riders aren't old enough to buy alcohol, yet they take home seven-digit salaries and log the same hours training as some of the best triathletes. I have learnt a lot in the short time I have been here and no-one would expect that it had been twenty years since I last saw my brother, aside from the fact we walked past each other at the airport, twice!

Newport Beach (as in The OC) is a beautiful place. With endless beaches and a proud beach cruiser community, it has been the perfect place to properly press reset and re-evalute my goals in the sport. The waves have been great and the weather exceptional. While eating breakfast I have the choice of looking at the beach or the harbour and the holiday atmosphere is hard to escape. I have found a good swim squad at a local high school which will become my second home over the next couple of months and the beach path is ideal for running up, down and all around. I even brought a cool baseball cap to fit in with the locals. 

I am currently back training and feeling reasonably good. I have been toying with idea of heading to Texas for a race next month but will hold off on any final decisions until I feel more prepared. Aside from that there are some local races in San Diego and Crystal Cove to keep me busy before setting myself for a good result at the Lifetime Fitness event in LA on September 30. After that, I will turn my attention to the flight home and the Australian summer starting of with everybody's favourite USM Event, the Noosa Triathlon. At this stage I should be back home in time for the Melbourne Cup and I am definitely looking forward to seeing all my family and friends who I have neglected since May.

I hope those of you that have experienced similar rough patches can take confidence from this story knowing that it's not rare to feel burnt-out and helpless. As mentioned, it is very easy to listen to advice but it's very difficult to follow it, and if we can find a way to laugh at our mistakes life gets a whole lot easier. If this trip has taught me anything, its that what I thought was the most important thing to me isn't and that my biggest challenges have not been fought. I am aware my views are just as likely to change in the next three months but for now I think I know what I want, but thats my secret...


Until next time, take care and have fun! 

Mitch's Next Race:
San Diego Classic Triathlon- September 9th

Mitch's Pictures:

Dana Point, California

Newport Harbour Swimming Pool

Twilight at Newport Beach

Sunlight at Newport Beach

The good fuel

Last time we met... Mitch & Kris!










No comments:

Post a Comment