Thursday 13 November 2014

TURNING THE TIDE

A week is a long time in sport and it certainly was for me between the day I crashed and the day I arrived home. I had gained 7kg’s since the accident and I was far from a shadow of my former self. It turns out the medication I was given was conducive to water retention and general puffiness, hence the Michelin Mitch. I had hardly been over eating and therefore was extremely worried what life after sport was going to look like for me. All I could think about was Geoff Huegill!

Without being able to train, I was rather lost for what to do. I had already exhausted my patience with Hollywood movies and there’s only so much live sport one can watch (just kidding). Then I read a Facebook post from my friend Lloyd Henriksson who was in need of a driver after snapping his Achilles at his local dojo. Through this twist of fate, I was right for the job and I spent the next couple of weeks as his assistant. Lloyd is a passionate cyclist and since meeting him at a Falls Creek training camp, we have continued to get along well. Lloyd has showed particular interest in my athletic development and we soon began to talk business whilst navigating the streets of Melbourne.

We came up with a unique sponsorship program that would create a massive opportunity for myself and other athletes in similar situations. Over the next few weeks the details of this program came to life and it’s now a reality. It is called the Becoz Better Athlete Program and for anyone interested to know more about what we offer, I would be more than happy to hear from you! For me, this is more than a sponsorship opportunity, it is a chance to create a secure future and I have loved dealing with the motivated and positive people involved.

They say good things come in two’s and in line with the Becoz program, another fantastic opportunity presented. Clayton Fettel and Ryan Bourke offered me a position as a coach with the new CF Racing Triathlon Team. In the past two years, I have worked as a coach and thoroughly enjoyed helping my athletes kick some multisport goals. I never tell them this, but what I tell them to do is often exactly what I need to do myself, so it’s a friendly reminder that the simplistic approach is forever valuable. Anyway, the CF Racing team was launched in October and we are now taking applications for those wishing to join the squad.

I have had a few people ask me what my athletic future holds after my latest ordeal. I was left to question my pathway when I was laid up in hospital, particularly given that the anticipated breakthroughs were yet to arrive. I tried not to think too hard about making major decisions while the chips were down, so I just got on with the business of rehabbing my shoulder and integrating back into my Melbourne life.

Before long I was back coaching, then I could even do a little bit myself. I started on the trainer and soon enough transitioned back to the road. I swam one arm drill for a few weeks and scissor kicked on the elliptical trainer at the gym. Slowly the swelling started to go away and I could return to the local Woolworths without fear of being seen.  I started to enjoy some time out on the bike and teamed up with Annabel Luxford for a few long loops around the Dandenongs on a Monday and the Peninsula on a Thursday. Without giving much thought to racing, I was happily training away and enjoying my sport as always.

I had mixed emotions about the 2015 season with the D-Squad and after much reflection, I felt that another year away with the squad was not going to be the best option. Coach Daz agreed that we had given it a good shot and a handshake farewell was in order. I will miss training with this family as it became and I wish each of them all the best for the future.

Darren has been a massive influence on not only my thoughts as an athlete, but as a person too. The last two years have shaped many of the principals I hold and will no doubt influence the way I live the rest of my life. He taught me not to think too much and proved that my way was not always the only way. Just traveling with the squad to places like Morzine and Snow Farm made the experience special. I said from the beginning, training with Daz and the squad was like a University degree in triathlon. He has given me the tools to tackle the workforce and now it’s up to me to work hard and make it happen!

I am looking forward to the summer ahead and will be hoping to establish some consistency with my training and racing. I will be looking to grow the Becoz Better Athlete Program and settle into my role with CF Racing. The days have been busy and I’m getting things done which is nice. I’ve even decided to make my long course debut at Challenge Shepparton this weekend, so save a cheer for me! I will let you all know how I get on and why I did what I did someday soon!

Thank you once again to those people who give me their time and support. It is always appreciated and I hope it can be returned in spades. Be sure to surround yourself with positive people and take some time to treat yourself. Even if its just like me, eating all meals with a spoon!

Until next time…

Mitch’s Next Race:
Challenge Shepparton, 15th November.


Mitch’s Pictures:


There are long and lonely miles ahead...

But the sunshine is coming!

Finals Footy at the 'G' with Lewy :)

Rebuilding the Engine!

Always a joy with Annabel :)

Becoz Better Athlete!

CF Racing!


No comments:

Post a Comment